This mornings appointment went WAY different than I thought it would.
I arrived at 8:00am as instructed and waited…then waited…and waited.
By 9:00 I was brought into the ultrasound room by a Fellow who would be working with Dr. K. She introduced me to another fellow who was going over my recent charts that had been sent over by the fertility clinic. Suffice to say, it was nice and cozy in the ultrasound room. The first Fellow, a woman, explained they had gone over my charts and knew that Xavier had died and why I was now considered a high risk patient.
She gave me her gender guess, conferred with the other Fellow and he agreed. I won’t share here just yet what Mr. Bean is, because she wasn’t 100%, but it made me very emotional. It just makes this pregnancy that much more real.
Dr. K has made three plans for this pregnancy:
Plan 1: Things go down hill as they did with Xavier and I will be monitored by admission to the hospital and delivered at 36 weeks by c-section.
Plan 2: Things remain fine, but the cervix is not favourable to kick start labour by breaking my water, I will have a RCS (repeat c-section) on September 12 at 9:00am. The surgery is already booked.
Plan 3: The pregnancy is fine and everything is a-ok. I will have a cervical check at 36 & 37 weeks and if it is favourable, they will break my water and I will proceed with a VBAC. (!!!!)
An alternate to ALL of these plans is an amnio on September 4th and if the fluid shows lung maturation, then they will proceed with the c-section on September 5th. This, however is the worst case scenario and I am hoping to avoid it.
Dr.K seemed genuinely pleased to see me, and he kept saying really positive upbeat things about how he is sure we will bring this baby home. I am happy to have him as my OB and I am feeling much more positive about the outcome.
I go back in four weeks and will have some additional blood work, another ultrasound, with a confirmation of gender, which I found out is needed because girls and boys as preemies are dealt with differently. For example, he explained, if there were detected problems they would deliver a female baby at 35 weeks, knowing she would make a better recovery than a male baby. So much for the stronger sex right?
I feel slightly overwhelmed today, and blessed to have found this OB. Oh yes…not a WORD was said about the 20 lbs I didn’t lose :p